Friday, July 4, 2008

Our Staycation


Michael was on vacation from work this week. We all had a very nice week together. One day, we took the kids to the park. Jonah almost broke his wrist jumping off the swings (see below).



Yesterday, we went downtown and took a riverboat ride on The Spirit of Jefferson since The Belle of Louisville wasn't running. It was very nice and relaxing. The kids really enjoyed it.



Before we even left the dock, Sadie had spotted a "lobster" (a.k.a. stick) and a "submarine" (a.k.a. buoy). Needless to say, this "vacation" was way better than the last one (see "We Need to Get Out More" below).


It drizzled a little and was a bit cool especially with the wind. I was definitely not prepared. You can tell that I'm a third time mom. When Jonah was a baby, if we had planned the same excursion, I would have packed two changes of clothes, a hat, several diapers, a jacket (for each of us), a blanket, emergency rain ponchos, the sling, an umbrella, toys, snacks for the baby, a sippy cup, antibacterial wipes, a first aid kit, the camera and video camera, extra batteries, suncreen (or "sunscream" as Sadie calls it) and rations in case we crashed onto Six Mile Island!

This time around, this is all we had with us (and I'm not exaggerating): one cloth diaper and cover, a onesie (size 6-9 months), a pair of 0-6 month socks (did I mention that Violet is 14 1/2 months old and wears size 12-18 mos?), the camera and $3. Luckily, it cost exactly $3 to park. When it started to get a little cool from the rain and wind, I had to improvise and use the cloth diaper as a blanket to cover the baby. I somehow managed to squeeze the 0-6 month socks on her – I'm still not sure how I pulled that one off. The other two kids were just s.o.l. Jonah tried to cover himself with Violet.


It all worked out in the end and we had a lovely time anyway – in spite of my lack of preparedness! At least I didn't forget the camera!

No comments: