Saturday, August 2, 2008

Florida, Here We Come!

We are leaving tomorrow!!! You probably won't see much of me next week, although I may try to post a few pictures of all of us frolicking on the beach! The kids are beside themselves! Poor Sadie has had the worst time falling asleep the last few nights. In fact, she's still in there now tossing and turning (and it's after 9 p.m.).

I already have the car locked and loaded! All that's left to do is get up tomorrow, clean the house, teach my class, load the last minute items and we are off!!! Someone gave me a brilliant idea about giving each of the kids a roll of quarters before we leave. Whenever they ask, "Are we there yet?" or "How much further?" or any derivation of that sentiment, they lose a quarter. Whatever they have left when we get there is what they get to spend! I'll let you know how it works.

My mom and dad brought over a portable DVD player for us to borrow. My mom showed the kids how to use it. They were happy as could be and just sat there for about 20 minutes with the headphones on watching the previews on "The Incredibles" DVD. They kept trying to ask questions and were screaming because they couldn't hear themselves. Sadie also likes to talk out loud during movies. So she's sitting there watching the movie and yelling her own little commentary to no one in particular. That won't get annoying! They are sound-deadening headphones so they can't really hear anything when they are wearing them. I kept testing them out by saying things like, "We're not really going to Florida, we're just going to drive until you fall asleep and go to the nearest hotel." Nothing! I figure they will come in especially handy when the kids start fighting or whining. Michael and I can just put them on and not have to listen to it! I'm only (half) kidding. Come to think about it, I may never give them back!

Before I go, I have to tell you about a funny conversation that Sadie and I had this morning. I was lying on the chair trying to take a nap while the kids were watching a movie and Violet was playing on the floor. Violet was very fussy for some reason this morning and apparently did not want me to nap, so I picked her up.

Sadie: "I'm sorry you didn't get to sleep much Mama. It's hard work having a baby. I pretty much only want to have one kid. But I don't want it to come out of my belly because that would hurt."

Me: "Where do you want it to come from?" (I wasn't sure if she was saying she didn't want to have the baby herself or didn't want to have a c-section).

Sadie: (Pointing to her bottom) "The normal spot!"

As a childbirth educator, that was music to my ears! Plus, I thought that was a very sapient comment for a 5 year old! (Can you tell that I finally started getting my word of the day email again?)!

Until next time...

No comments: