Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The dog ate my homework

I get it now. Dogs eat freakin' everything. WTH? I thought dogs were suppose to be smart.

So far, Coco, who has been in our family a total of 4 weeks, has eaten, or tried to eat, mulch, toilet paper, carpet, molding, a basket, a plastic easter egg and a red crayon. The red crayon almost did her in. She vomited several times (red) and had red diarrhea. Talk about fun.

I called the Vet. She told me to watch for dehydration. After the last bout of vomiting, she was completely lethargic. She could barely raise her head. I called the Vet again (who happens to be a friend of mine). She told me she thought I should take her to the emergency hospital.

All I could think about was the fact that I was going to have to drop several hundred dollars if I had to take this dog to the E.R. I didn't want to think about that but I did. Yes, I am a terrible dog-mama. Luckily, I also know the owner of the Emergency Clinic. I called him and he very kindly walked me through some things to try. After force-feeding her some water and Nutri-cal, she perked right up and was ready to play!

Halleluia. Thanks to my two fabulous Vet friends, I can get those new tires for my car that I so desperately need before the winter. Oh, and I will be investing in pet insurance ASAP!

I sure hope this poor dog lives to see adulthood!


No comments: